… and if you’re not completely smitten by the performance of young Catinca Untaru as Alexandria, then you probably have a few mean bones in your body stashed away somewhere. Tarsem waited a long time to cast the perfect young girl in this part (she was probably about 7 or 8 when this was filmed), and he was wise to hold out until he felt he had the right actress. She’s such an engaging and natural performer in this role that you literally feel the emotional reactions she has to Roy’s ever evolving stories. You’ll get misty eyed more than once (I sure did!) and marvel at her wonderful presence. Lee Pace as Roy is every bit her equal when it comes to his performance, but it’s really Catinca’s film, because everything begins and is resolved within her perspective as listener and eventual participant in the stories….
- One of the most believable and amazing performances
- Stefana Totorcea, Reader’s Digest Romania: Cand visul unei fetite romance s-a intalnit cu cel al unui regizor indian, a rezultat o poveste cu final fericit.
- ROGER EBERT:The sweet charm of the young Romanian actress Catinca Untaru
- Untaru, with her chubby face and big eyes, delivers for me the single best bit of acting of 2008
- She is absolutely, positively, a-d-o-r-a-b-l-e.
- You can’t understand why she is so perfect
- TOP 10s of 2008
- Are you trying to save my soul?
- Catinca Untaru is an astounding find
- Break-out star Catinca Untaru was amazing, and her performance was Oscar worthy big time!