Lush visuals and weaving narrative aside, the key aspect in the movie’s magic is the cast’s believability. Specifically, young Romanian actress Catinca Untaru. Her portrayal of an inquisitive and mischievous young girl has to be the most remarkable child acting ever put to film. I usually hesitate to give such an absolute statement, but there really can’t be enough praise for the ten-year old. Rumour has it that she was never given a full script, but rather just a general idea of what the scene was going to be about, and she was left to her own initiative to respond accordingly. Whether or not this is true, the fact remains that she captures an authenticity that most filmmakers can only dream of.
- One of the most believable and amazing performances
- Stefana Totorcea, Reader’s Digest Romania: Cand visul unei fetite romance s-a intalnit cu cel al unui regizor indian, a rezultat o poveste cu final fericit.
- ROGER EBERT:The sweet charm of the young Romanian actress Catinca Untaru
- Untaru, with her chubby face and big eyes, delivers for me the single best bit of acting of 2008
- She is absolutely, positively, a-d-o-r-a-b-l-e.
- You can’t understand why she is so perfect
- TOP 10s of 2008
- Are you trying to save my soul?
- Catinca Untaru is an astounding find
- Break-out star Catinca Untaru was amazing, and her performance was Oscar worthy big time!