Catinca Untaru is an astounding find: She spoke no English before filming commenced and her command of the language is shaky at best in the film, but the key this Romanian actress’ performance in her limitless spirit and how she so effortlessly captures her character’s incorruptibility and childlike passions for escaping the world around her that she does not understand. She attains such an untamed purity and cheerfulness with Alexandria that makes her later scenes involving her self-awareness to Roy’s plight all the more tragic and sad. Just look at one tear-jerking moment between herself and Roy where she lays bandaged up in a hospital bed after an errand for him goes afoul. This instance, where both characters experience positive growth through dire circumstances, is phenomenally simple in execution compared to the rest of the film: It’s THE FALL’s most tender and unforgettable moment.
- One of the most believable and amazing performances
- Stefana Totorcea, Reader’s Digest Romania: Cand visul unei fetite romance s-a intalnit cu cel al unui regizor indian, a rezultat o poveste cu final fericit.
- ROGER EBERT:The sweet charm of the young Romanian actress Catinca Untaru
- Untaru, with her chubby face and big eyes, delivers for me the single best bit of acting of 2008
- She is absolutely, positively, a-d-o-r-a-b-l-e.
- You can’t understand why she is so perfect
- TOP 10s of 2008
- Are you trying to save my soul?
- Catinca Untaru is an astounding find
- Break-out star Catinca Untaru was amazing, and her performance was Oscar worthy big time!